Next application deadline -- 15 April 2019, 11.59 PM Brussels time
After the application deadline, Journalismfund.eu checks that formalities are in order and may call for more information from applicants. This usually takes one week.
After this, the applications go to the jury who makes the final decision.
Applicants are usually informed around 30 days after the deadline.
Some applications can be refused on budget grounds.
There will be four application rounds in 2019.
14 January 2019, 11.59 PM Brussels time.
- 15 April 2019, 11.59 PM Brussels time.
- 15 July 2019, 11.59 PM Brussels time.
- 14 October 2019, 11.59 Brussels time.
The applications are assessed by a jury with 4 members. The members of the jury are experienced editors, investigative journalists or media specialists. They remain anonymous until they leave the jury.
Both Journalismfund.eu and the jury are bound to strict confidentiality—before, during and after evaluation of the proposals.
Applications will be assessed based on 10 criteria in relative weight to each other:
|1||Added value compared to mainstream coverage / a forgotten story||13|
|2||Relevance in society||13|
|3||Originality and innovative ideas, research methods||8|
|5||Experience of the applicants, references||4|
|7||Work effort requirement||6|
|8||Cross-border research, cross-border stories||12|
|9||Networking between countries, pooling research||12|
|10||Watchdog of EU institutions, policies, money||12|
Journalismfund.eu supports costs related to journalistic research for all media. This can include travel, translation, access to pay-databases or simply time to research. We do not support fixed costs such as office costs, investments such as cameras or computers or production costs.
Download (Excel) HERE an example of how to make a budget.
- Journalismfund.eu supports journalists living in a Council of Europe country (geographical Europe). When relevant for the story, team members from elsewhere can be accepted, too.
- Applicants must be working as professional journalists.
- Only natural persons are eligible.
- Students are not eligible.
- Journalists who were previously allocated a Journalismfund.eu working grant can reapply, but the jury will include the result of previous working grants in their evaluation of the new application.
There are 4 application rounds in 2019. The total amount to distribute is 195,000 euros. The money comes from Adessium Foundation and Open Society Foundations.