For young teams or teams that need support in a specific aspect of the investigation, a mentor can be appointed. Journalismfund.eu holds a pool of potential mentors, who can be suggested in a dialogue with the applicant team. The jury can make a grant conditional of collaboration with a mentor.
Here is a list of the different ways mentoring will add value to the journalists and the projects:
- Tips related to research including securing information sharing and communication;
- Identification of sources;
- Interview methodology;
- Sharpen the focus of the story;
- Fresh perspective on story;
- Motivation to continue the work despite stumbling blocks;
- Broadening the journalists’ network.
The mentors are selected based on either the focus of the investigation or the need for competencies in a specific skill.
Journalismfund.eu has developed a list of names of mentors will be available here.